Sunday, December 10, 2006

What a movie, ya!

A few months ago, I watched Nayagan - one of the best movies in India in my opinion, which engendered in me, a love for Tamil movies, especially those by Mani Rathnam and Kamal Hassan. Although, I do not understand Tamil(I can only understand very basic Tamil), this new foumd interest enabled me to see such good movies as Anbe Sivam, Kannathil Muthamittal and a few other movies(Thanks Arjun, for giving me those DVD/CDs). The latest in the list of Tamil movies I have watched is, Iruvar, which I viewed today.

As with all other Maniji's films this too was brilliant. Yes, I could not understand Tamil poetry which was in full flow in that movie. This, I am sure, would have taken half the sheen off it. Yet, it was a great watch. This was because of the simply amazing storytelling combined with A R Rahman's music composition that was perfect to say the least. Mani Rathnam's direction ensures that, a film, that could have so easily slipped into a documentary, is transformed into a must-watch-movie, one that has used Tamil political saga to perfection.

4 comments:

Arjun Sharma said...

Come on, man, you my buddy, man! You are right, this is easily one of the best films ever made. The amazing way of telling the story has made what some would dismiss as a 'biopic' a remarkable movie. And Rahman's music, especially the background score, is astounding. And the songs are also part of the movies(that Mohanlal acts in) within the movie, so they are not speedbreakers for the story.

Very nice. Like they write in 'Letters to the editor,' kudos to this great director.

Arjun Sharma said...

What's wrong with documentaries? You use them derogatorily here.

'Tamil political saga' -- ai shabash!

Harish said...

I am not using documentaries derogatorily. What I said was, in an attempt to do such biopics as a mainstream movie (one which everyone, not just movie freaks like you, watch), sometimes the film can become a documentary. Documentaries are not people in general watch. This did not happen and it very much remained a mainstream movie. That this film flopped is an entirely different issue.

Sandeep said...

This discussion is turning extremely homosexual. But the movie was good.